Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Angry rant: currect way of birthing a baby?

My favorite blogger Xiaxue just posted her birthing video and I am truly grateful because it offered me an insight on non-natural birth. 

There's such a high value placed on natural birth and recently years, water birth and at home birth are becoming increasing popular. All of these "back to nature" pseudo science crap has been giving me anxiety for years. 

I was causally googling alternatives to natural birth for women with high labor anxieties and almost punched out my laptop because I was so angry. All the women who reply say something like "Just do natural, it's so much better for the baby. I'm only 5'3 and I gave birth to my 8 pound baby with NO painkillers". Everyone mentioned that they didn't take any painkillers...like good for you? You're a GOOD mom because you suffered. Your baby's health is contingent on the degree of pain you experienced. Your kid will grow up with a higher IQ because it was a natural born baby. Them c-section babies automatically get IQ points deducted because they didn't get squeezed out of a birth canal.

Xiaxue herself had a c-section and was on laughing gas. The birth of her baby was easy and smooth; most of all it was pretty painless. However, the comments asking her why she didn't have a natural birth was overwhelming. Why does she have to EXPLAIN her choices? 

Because she did her makeup for that day, people also called her vain. One commenter even said "it's the one day that it's okay to look like a mess". What the serious hell?! Not only is the woman SUPPOSE to suffer, but she has to LOOK like she suffered? And somehow it is not okay to look like a mess any other time in her life?!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I realize that there are real and serious differences between the two choices but the issue isn't in the process itself but in how these options are perceived. One is deemed a great and noble sacrifice and the other, a cowardly act of selfishness. This needs to change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

It can only go up from here

It's been a while yes. I'm still Jenny and I still do things...BUT  a lot has happened.  I got another dog. Her name is LuLu and s...